I have been talking a lot about SEO (search engine optimization) over this past week on Blogussion. I started the week off with an article about good headline writing techniques, and ended it talking about optimizing content for search engines.
With all of the discussions those two posts generated about search engine optimization, it left me with some interesting insight about what others think about SEO. From the comments I read, I came up with the following impressions about what some of you think about SEO:
- Many of you do worry about SEO, and took the tips I wrote about into consideration for your own optimization practices.
- Some reactions were, to my surprise, confusion. There were many people who didn’t understand even some of the basic concepts I was explaining, or were just hearing about them for the first time.
- And the most interesting reaction I heard was someone telling me how they didn’t worry about SEO on their blog.
I was more surprised by the second and third reactions than I was the first. I never would have imagined that some bloggers would actually spend little to no time at all worrying about search engines, considering I do spend time on it.
I’m glad there are such diverse opinions about the topic here, as it leads me to ask you this question:
Is SEO worth spending time on?
I know I have spent a lot of time on the optimization of my blog. I spend at least 15-20 minutes per post just on fine-tuning every article I write on Blogussion to maximize its effectiveness in the search engines.
But I have to wonder, am I just overdoing it? Am I spending too much time worrying about the optimization of my content and even my whole blog in general?
You tell me:
- I bought the Thesis framework, a theme created with SEO as one of its strongest features.
- I pay a monthly fee for a plugin that checks the optimization of my blog articles.
- I spend time (like I said, 15-20 minutes) making sure I use the right keywords in my articles and headlines.
- I try to link back to past articles on my blog as much as possible.
- I try to make content as easily accessible to search engines as it is my human readers.
- I like to keep a tab on what keywords my blog is being found for in search engines.
I can keep going, but those are the main things I think about when I focus in on SEO.
I am curious now about your SEO practices. How often do you take the time to try to rank well in those search engines? Do you think that search engine traffic is even the traffic source to fully focus on? I want to know every thought on your mind about SEO, and I want to have a debate with you.
Because I think good SEO is very important to a blog.
I don’t think I would have spent so much time (or money) on it if I didn’t think it wasn’t important to a blog. I am very curious to hear what your thoughts are on the topic, however.
Enjoy your weekend!